Bowling column for Tuesday, September 15, 2020
By: Bette Addington
–Q & A WITH NEW AMF SOUTHWEST MANAGER JOSE ZAMUDIO
- Your age? 35
- California native? Grew up in the Bay area. Been there since the age of 2.
- When did you start bowling? Not a league bowler. I have only bowled in one of our national leagues, “Get Your Gear” league two years ago.
- What has kept you in the sport of bowling? I enjoy watching others compete and have fun by providing a great experience for all our guests. The consistent learning about the sport and dedication to building an efficient and experienced team.
- When did you start working for AMF? June, 2017.
- What centers have you worked at? AMF Pinole Valley Lanes, Pinole, CA and AMF Boulevard Lanes, Petaluma, CA.
- What do you enjoy the most about your job? Always learning new aspects of the bowling world and the continuous learning and training with my team. I also appreciate the competitiveness and dedication of our leagues and league bowlers.
- What do you hope to accomplish here at AMF Southwest Lanes? I don’t have a specific thing or things that I would like to accomplish at this time. I would like to have some time to get acquainted with the center and its bowlers.
- Bowlero Corp. & Skillz are launching Strike, a mobile Esports game in early Sept.? Yes, the game is out and available to download for most platforms. There are many prizes to be won.
- What upcoming changes can league bowlers expect to see this season? Due to the current situation, there will be social distancing regulations, cleanliness and sanitation procedures, and possible occupancy restrictions. Remodel is in progress and we will have a lot of new/updated equipment, furniture, and updated technological features throughout our center.
- How do you plan to balance Open bowling and night league bowling? I am currently in the process of obtaining accurate bowler counts from our league officers. We are also working on adjusting start times, but most important having a good relationship/communication with league officers.
- Are you open to hosting tournaments at AMF Southwest on weekends? Absolutely.
- Will you be on the premises sometimes at nights during league? Yes.
- Will you have security for night league bowlers and daytime if needed in parking lot? If this is an issue I will make sure to get with my district manager and come up with a solution. I am not sure if this was something that was needed in the past.
- Any upcoming activities/promotions to help build youth league on Saturdays? I am working with league officers from our Youth league to start a home school league where students can get PE credit for bowling with us.
- What will hours be for winter leagues? At this point, hours should remain the same as in the past.
- Do you plan to have the same staff return when you reopen? Yes, they will be my first contacts for staffing the center.
- Will you ever bowl in a league? I would like to if possible.
- Married? I am engaged.
- Any children? Yes, two boys, 17 and 12.
- Does your family bowl? Yes, but only for fun.
- What other hobbies do you have besides bowling? I enjoy traveling and spending time with my family.
- How can bowlers reach you? JZamudio@Bowlmor-AMF.com
- Would you be interested in being on the board of our local bowling association? Definitely would like to be as involved as possible in our local bowling association in any way that I can.
- What are your personal plans for the future? Continue to excel in my career with Bowlero, get married and build a strong foundation for my family in Bakersfield.
- How can people find out more about AMF Southwest Lanes upcoming events? Go to our company website www.Amf.com and sign up for our MVB program, make sure to select AMF Southwest Lanes as preferred center to receive up-to-date emails on promotions, upcoming events and center updates.
Also asked a bowling friend of mine who is active on her board as well as a bowler at Pinole Valley Lanes in Pinole, CA, if she could share her relationship with Jose and this is her response: “Jose always has a smile on his face and is willing to try to help in any way. He listens to people’s input and has an optimistic attitude towards change.” –Irene Wilson
Hope this helps introduce Jose more to our local bowling community. Let’s hope our time will be soon where we can meet him at AMF Southwest Lanes and get bowling rolling again!
–CA STATE REGULATIONS
A few weeks ago we were given the Governor’s new Covid 19 Level Tiers and Kern County, like many other counties in CA, is currently in the Purple range which is the worst. In order for us to see bowling centers open, we must get out of the Purple, then the Red and be in the Orange level. This Orange level would allow centers to be opened at 25% capacity which would allow for bowlers only, no spectators.
Kern County is stuck in the Purple and must stay in that category for 3 weeks minimum. Roughly, we can hopefully reach the Red level in 4 weeks or around Oct. 12. Then we have to stay in the Red level for 2 weeks minimum so hopefully we can reach the Orange level by Nov. 16. This is just a rough estimate. Hopefully things will change more rapidly than this.
Golden Empire USBC President Zack Long recently released a statement saying, “the recent guidelines from the Governor’s office that bowling is to remain closed for at least a minimum of 42 days.”
–BOWL.COM HAS YOUR BOOK AVERAGE LISTED
With the delay in Fall/Winter leagues getting to start, did you know you can look up what your Book Average is on Bowl.com? You can also purchase your 2020-21 sanction card or wait until leagues do start and purchase your card through your first day/night of league bowling.
–PATRICIA ALONSO IS FIRST PLACE WOMEN’S SINGLES CHAMPION OF SAM’S TOWN OPEN TRIOS 2020
Wow, congratulations to Patricia Alonso who held on to the number one spot and now has officially won! This tournament ran from July 4ththrough August 30th at Sam’s Town in Las Vegas. Alonso bowled it several times but I believe her first or second time her scores took her to that number one position. Then the waiting began. Here’s the results of others I could find to share:
1st– Patricia Alonso
7th– Elysia Johnson-Basurto
7th– Joe Smith
13th– Ramsey Basurto
21st– Andrew Svoren
24th– Damon LaBlue
6th– CBT Pres. Cabinet: Elysia Johnson-Basurto/Sindy Cruz/Ramsey Basurto
17th– CBT 2: Patricia Alonso/Marshall Kennebrew/Ramsey Basurto
21st– Tango Down 3: Joe Smith/Andrew Svoren/Joe Gilliand
23rd– Joe Smith
29th– Andrew Svoren/Craig Dopson/Joe Smith
38th– Elysia Johnson-Basurto
–BOWLERS SUPPORT AND PARTICIPATE IN 1ST DAVID MARCUS THUMBS UP SCHOLARSHIP FOUNDATION GOLF TOURNAMENT
Several bowlers took to the green this past Sat., September 12th at Riverlakes Golf Course to support Arlene Aninion, a former bowler and sister of the late David Marcus. Charles Gabriel entered two teams—one with tennis buddies (Kevin Haymond, Lonn Mastro and Tracy Thompson), and one with bowling buddies (Carlie Medina III, Jeff Ellington, Chris Gregory and Chuck Grove). Also competing were Diz Francisco, Donna Fujihara and Mike Bost. Although none were on the winning team which shot 53, Charles tennis buddy team got 2nd and the bowling buddy team got 3rd! Not too shabby. Oh, and Bee Ramos reported that Jeff Ellington won the “Closest to Pin” hole. And Donna Fujihara won “Closest to Pin” hole for the women!
Congratulations as the tournament raised a whopping $7,664!!
–TOURNAMENT CLUB CANCELLATIONS CONTINUE
Be sure to check with the tournament director whether an upcoming event is a go or not as it changes from day-to-day, even hour-to-hour! Many of them are trying their darndest to provide events for bowlers to compete in but are up against city, county and state health regulations.
- Stephanie Sanders and Alex Garcia traveled to Vegas to bowl the Vegas ABT this past weekend on Saturday and Stephanie ended up placing 6th. Alex just missed the cut by 9 pins. This event is held by ABT Las Vegas and they have a tournament at SouthPoint every other Saturday so the next one is on Sat., September 26th. Wish Stephanie and Patricia Alonso luck as they are bowling the Elite Bowling Club Women’s Scratch 6 Gamer on Oct. 3rd at Canyon Lanes in Cabazon.
- Just got the devastating news this morning that former AMF Southwest Manager, Darlene Sharp, passed away in her sleep last night. Don’t have any further details at this time. She left her Manager position at AMF Southwest to an advanced position with AMF but remained living here in Bakersfield.
–LOCAL BOWLING CENTERS
- The BLVD! – CLOSED for Bowling, Food & Alcohol!!–3200 Buck Owens Blvd., BLVDBakersfield.com, 661/873-4477
Military Service (Active, Reserve, Retired, Law Enforcement, Fire & First Responders) get 15% off Food, Soft Beverages, Bowling, Laser Tag, Ropes Course & Arcade Play Every Day!
Live Music on the Patio – Every Friday from 6pm-8pm – FREE!
Sign Up for The BLVD!’s E Club, connect with them to get exclusive offers & updates. Join via their free WiFi or fill out a card today! (Like & follow @BLVDBAKERSFIELD.)
Monday-Thursday (Open-Close) $4.25/Game, per person
Friday (Open-5pm) $4.25/Game, per person
Friday (5pm-Close) $42/Hour, per lane*
Weekends (Open-Close) $42/Hour, per lane*
Shoes – $4/person—Socks – $2.50/pair
*Up to (6) people per lane
- AMF Southwest Lanes – CLOSED –3610 Wible Road – 661/834-2695, amf.com.
Hours of Operation
Mondays – CLOSED
Tuesdays – 4pm – 10pm
Wednesdays* – 4pm – 10pm
Thursdays – CLOSED
Fridays* – 4pm – 12 midnight
Saturdays – 12 noon – 12 midnight
Sundays – 12 noon – 10pm
*may open earlier on these days
ROBB’S PRO SHOP (inside AMF Southwest Lanes) –661/833-2695:
Hours of Operation
Mondays – CLOSED
Tuesdays – 4pm – 8pm
Wednesdays – 2pm – 8pm
Thursdays – CLOSED
Fridays – 4pm – 8pm
Saturdays – 12 noon – 6pm
Sundays – 2pm – 8pm
- West Side Lanes – CLOSED–500 Cascade Place, Bldg. D, Taft, 93268 – 661/763-4246 or 765-6677
- Mt. Mesa Lanes – CLOSED–4612 McCray Road, Mt. Mesa, CA 93240 – 760/379-3131, www.Kernvalley.com/mtmesalanes
“I can do ‘to go’ food, but nobody can come inside.”–Gabriella Mayfield
- High Desert Lanes – CLOSED–205 Fitzgerald Blvd., Edwards AFB, CA 93523 – 661/275-2695
–BOWLING COMMUNITY CALENDAR
Now-Oct. 4: Summer Doubles Tournament, Winks Silver Strike Lanes, Gardnerville, NV, 775/762-6018
Sat. & Sun., Sept. 19-20: CBT Doubles & Singles, Sat. @ 10/12/2/4; Sun. @ 10/12/2, Sunset Station, Las Vegas, 661/418-8007, cbtbowling.com
Sat & Sun., Sept. 19-20: Elite Bowling Club Scratch 5 Gamer (2 different tournaments), squads both days 9am & 1pm, 909/450-9415, venmo: elite-bowling-club
Sat. & Sun., Sept. 19-20: PBA50 on 9/19; PBA Regional on 9/20, Bowlero Lynwood, Lynwood, WA, firstname.lastname@example.org, 360/600-1229
Sat., Sept. 26: SLAC & OC USBC’s 4thSoCal Queens & Princess Tourn., 9am, Forest Lanes, Lake Forest, 323/252-7904, email@example.com
Sun., Sept. 27: SLAC & OC USBC’s SoCal Masters & Apprentices Tourn., 9am, Forest Lanes, Lake Forest, 323/252-7904, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sun., Sept. 27: 60 & Over Scratch Classic, 11am (check-in starts at 9:30am), Canyon Lanes, Cabazon, 562/243-0175
Sun., Sept. 27: Lousy Bowler Tourn., 9am or 1pm, Riverside Lanes, Laughlin, 1/888/590-2695
Sun., Sept. 27: PBA League Live, 9am – Quarterfinals; 4pm – Quarterfinals, FS1
Mon., Sept. 28: PBA League Live, 4pm – Semifinals; 6pm – Semifinals, FS1
Tues., Sept. 29: PBA League Live, 4pm – Final Four, FS1
Wed., Sept. 30: PBA League Live, 4pm – Elias Cup Finals, FS1
–UPCOMING TOURNAMENTS ON THE HORIZON
Fri.-Sun., Oct. 2-4: PBA Battle at Black Oak Casino, Toulumne, CA, pba.com
Fri.-Sun., Oct. 2-4: 2020 Nor Cal BC Nugget Resort Summer Jubilee Team Tourn. (first weekend), Coconut Bowl, Sparks, 925/485-1855, email@example.com
Sat., Oct. 3: Elite Bowling Club Women’s Scratch 6 Gamer, 9am, Canyon Lanes, Cabazon, 909/450-9415
Sat. & Sun., Oct. 3-4: Cal Bowlers Tour Reno Team 4 Gamer, National Bowling Stadium, Reno, NV, squads at 10am & 2pm both days, teams of 4 (Men, Women or Mixed), handicap 80% of 220, optional Scratch, 925/757-2695, CalBowlersTour@aol.com
Tues.-Fri., Oct. 6-9: Camp Bakes, Sunset Station, Vegas, markbakerbowling.com
Fri.-Sun., Oct. 9-11: 2020 Nor Cal BC Nugget Resort Summer Jubilee Team Tourn. (second weekend), Coconut Bowl, Sparks, 925/485-1855, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sat. & Sun., Oct. 10-11: 645 Anchor Girl Trios Handicap Tourn., Sat.-9:30/1:30, Canyon Lanes, Cabazon, email@example.com
Sat.-Fri., Oct. 10-16: Columbus Day Sr. Team Tourn., The Orleans, Vegas, 800/257-6179, high-roller.com
Mon.-Thurs., Oct. 12-15: Camp Bakes, Sunset Station, Vegas, markbakerbowling.com
Sat. & Sun., Oct. 17-18: CBT Doubles/Singles, Sat.-10/12/2/4; Sun.-10/12/2, Bowlero Mesa, Mesa, AZ, 661/418-8007, cbtbowling.com
Sat.-Sun., Oct. 24-25: CBT, Sunset Lanes, St. George, UT, 661/418-8007, cbtbowling.com