Bowling column for Tuesday, August 18, 2020
By: Bette Addington
–GEUSBC’s ANNUAL SECRETARIES WORKSHOP RECAP
For years the Golden Empire USBC has held an annual Secretaries Workshop for their local league secretaries and presidents to attend. It was held at AMF Southwest Lanes, always in mid-August, and the GEUSBC Board also attends so that new league secretaries and/or presidents have a chance to meet their local board. Center managers were also invited to attend and many times would meet with their center’s league secretaries after the Workshop. But this year, with the Covid pandemic, it was held a little differently.
On Sunday, August 16, the GEUSBC Secretaries Workshop was held virtually via Zoom. Unfortunately, a low turnout of league secretaries participated but that can be expected with all the centers closed and we really don’t have any indication when they might re-open. But, for the few that attended, the following was presented by GEUSBC Association Manager Nancy Weber and GEUSBC President Zack Long:
• League sanction form requires that league secretaries get right on getting these forms filled out. You have 30 days to get this form filled out and in from when you officially start your league.
• Local centers approximate start date for leagues. AMF Southwest and Mt. Mesa in Lake Isabella, and Westside Lanes in Taft looking at either right after Labor Day to mid-September. The BLVD! will not be open until January. High Desert Lanes is getting closer and closer to re-opening.
• When State allows centers to re-open, social distancing will need to be practiced as well as wearing masks even when we bowl. Have to wait and see what State restrictions are.
• USBC is pushing with sanction membership cards that league secretaries fill out the side portion/receipt and give these back to the bowlers this season as soon as possible. This is important because of the lag time until league secretary gets complete membership cards to Association Manager and they are submitted to USBC. Secretaries need to consider that many league bowlers bowl in tournaments and need this receipt to show they have paid their sanction fee for this season.
• USBC sanction membership fee has stayed the same, no increase.
• Big change is the Aug. 1st, no balance hole allowed in your bowling ball. This new ruling not only applies to USBC sanctioned tournaments but USBC sanctioned leagues as well.
• No rule books this year will be given out in secretaries packets. Go to bowl.com to download.
• Competition on one lane of a pair was approved. This is another restriction that league bowlers may have to accept depending on State restrictions.
Have to be ready for a little give-and-take to be able to return to league bowling this upcoming Winter season. Depending on when centers are allowed to reopen also will dictate the number of weeks our Winter season will be—30 weeks?, 15 weeks?? Centers are anxious to have leagues return. We all need to work together with our centers and accept that it is what it is.
–OPEN CALIFORNIA BOWLING CENTERS NOW
If you haven’t already seen this group on Facebook, please check them out! Ric & Carolyn Hamlin created this group on Facebook just last Thursday and the momentum and feedback has been fantastic and the group has grown to 3,718 members already! It started out basically with CA bowling center operators communicating their feelings and ideas on what it would take to get bowling centers in CA open again and soon. California has around 300 centers.
And just in a week’s time, there are centers throughout CA holding “Bring Back Bowling In California Rallies” tomorrow (Wednesday). Here’s a few that I could find to share:
Cal Bowl, Lakewood, 3pm-5pm
Kearney Mesa Bowl, San Diego 4pm-6pm
Morgan Hill Bowl, 3pm-5pm
Earl Anthony’s Dublin Bowl, 6pm-7pm
Madera Valley Bowl, 11am-1pm
Steve Cook’s Fireside Lanes, Sacramento 4pm-6pm
Let’s hope these get some media attention. If you live near any of these scheduled rallies and can contact your local media, please do!
–AMF SOUTHWEST LANES NEW MANAGER MEETING WITH WINTER LEAGUE SECRETARIES NEXT WEEK
If you are either a league secretary or league president of a league that bowls at AMF Southwest Lanes, then new General Manager, Jose Zamudio, would like to set up a time to meet with you next Thurs., August 27, at AMF Southwest Lanes. He will be contacting league secretaries to set up a time that day to meet with you as he wants to meet with each league separately. Meetings will be set up in 30-minute increments. If you have not heard from Jose, please feel free to contact him at 510/672-6201.
–BYERS TOPS BAKERSFIELD BOWLERS TRAVELLING TO RENO, ST. GEORGE & CABAZON TO COMPETE IN RECENT TOURNAMENTS
What started with Patricia Alonso, Andrew Svoren & Joe Smith heading to Vegas to bowl in the Sam’s Town Trios a month or so back has grown into others traveling to bowl in tournaments held outside of CA in just the last few weeks. Here’s how they placed:
- 12th Cal Bowlers Tour Reno Invitational – July 31-Aug. 2 – National Bowling Stadium, Reno, NV
Men’s All Events – 1st place – Ian Byers (2,194)
Men’s Singles Handicap – 9th place – Ian Byers
Women’s Singles Handicap – 3rd place – Patricia Bocker
Women’s Pins Over Average Optional – 17th place – Patricia Alonso
Andrew Svoren ‘300’ Game
- Elite Bowling Club #4 Scratch 5 Gamer – Aug. 8-9 – Canyon Lanes, Cabazon
Andrew Svoren – 9th place (+145) $225
Joe Smith – 12th place (+132) $155
Ramsey Basurto – 14th place (+128) $145
- CBT Beat the Board Doubles & Singles – Aug. 15-16 – Sunset Lanes, St. George, UT
Joe Smith – 1st place Scratch payouts (673) $500
Joe Smith – 1st place Final Scratch standings (673) $224.33
Patricia Alonso – 9th place Singles (680)
–TOURNAMENT CLUB CANCELLATIONS CONTINUE
Be sure to check with the tournament director whether an upcoming event is a go or not as it changes from day-to-day, even hour-to-hour! Many of them are trying their darndest to provide events for bowlers to compete in but are up against city, county and state health regulations.
–VIRTUAL LESSONS WITH MARK BAKER
You can get virtual lessons with Mark Baker by going to www.markbakerbowling.com.
Also, Camp Bakes is scheduled in October with a few openings. First session is Oct. 6-9 and second session is Oct. 12-15. Location is Sunset Station in Las Vegas.
–LOCAL BOWLING CENTERS
- The BLVD! – CLOSED for Bowling, Food & Alcohol!!–3200 Buck Owens Blvd., BLVDBakersfield.com, 661/873-4477
Military Service (Active, Reserve, Retired, Law Enforcement, Fire & First Responders) get 15% off Food, Soft Beverages, Bowling, Laser Tag, Ropes Course & Arcade Play Every Day!
Live Music on the Patio – Every Friday from 6pm-8pm – FREE!
Sign Up for The BLVD!’s E Club, connect with them to get exclusive offers & updates. Join via their free WiFi or fill out a card today! (Like & follow @BLVDBAKERSFIELD.)
Monday-Thursday (Open-Close) $4.25/Game, per person
Friday (Open-5pm) $4.25/Game, per person
Friday (5pm-Close) $42/Hour, per lane*
Weekends (Open-Close) $42/Hour, per lane*
Shoes – $4/person—Socks – $2.50/pair
*Up to (6) people per lane
- AMF Southwest Lanes – CLOSED –3610 Wible Road – 661/834-2695, amf.com.
Hours of Operation
Mondays – CLOSED
Tuesdays – 4pm – 10pm
Wednesdays* – 4pm – 10pm
Thursdays – CLOSED
Fridays* – 4pm – 12 midnight
Saturdays – 12 noon – 12 midnight
Sundays – 12 noon – 10pm
*may open earlier on these days ROBB’S PRO SHOP (inside AMF Southwest Lanes) –661/833-2695:
Hours of Operation
Mondays – CLOSED
Tuesdays – 4pm – 8pm
Wednesdays – 2pm – 8pm
Thursdays – CLOSED
Fridays – 4pm – 8pm
Saturdays – 12 noon – 6pm
Sundays – 2pm – 8pm
- West Side Lanes – CLOSED–500 Cascade Place, Bldg. D, Taft, 93268 – 661/763-4246 or 765-6677
- Mt. Mesa Lanes – CLOSED–4612 McCray Road, Mt. Mesa, CA 93240 – 760/379-3131, www.Kernvalley.com/mtmesalanes
“I can do ‘to go’ food, but nobody can come inside.”–Gabriella Mayfield
- High Desert Lanes – CLOSED–205 Fitzgerald Blvd., Edwards AFB, CA 93523 – 661/275-2695
–BOWLING COMMUNITY CALENDAR
Now-Aug. 30: Sam’s Town Open Trios Tournament, Sat. & Sun., squads at 11am, 1pm & 3pm, Las Vegas, NV, entry fee $105 per trio team, walk-ins welcome/reservations recommended, 702/454-8022
Now-Sept. 6: Mega Bowling Tournament, Mixed Handicap, Singles/Doubles/Team/All Events, Winks Silver Strike Lanes, Gardnerville, NV, bowlmega.com
Sat. & Sun., Aug. 22-23: Elite Bowling Club #5 5 Gamer, Canyon Lanes, Cabazon, 909/450-9415
Thurs.-Sun., Aug. 27-30: The Gauntlet Eliminator Singles Scratch Tourn., 27-29 squad times 10:30/12:30/3/5/7:30, Coconut Bowl, Sparks, NV, email@example.com
Sat. & Sun., Aug. 29-30: CBT Beat the Board Doubles/Singles, Sat. @ 9/11/1/3; Sun. @ 10/12/2, Bowlero Mesa, Mesa, AZ, 661/418-8007, cbtbowling.com
Sun., Aug. 30: Any Age Scratch 6 Gamer (Youth welcome), 9am, Canyon Lanes, Cabazon, firstname.lastname@example.org
–UPCOMING TOURNAMENTS ON THE HORIZON
Fri. & Sat., Sept. 4-5: PBA Junior National Championships, Phoenix, AZ, pba.com
Sat. & Sun., Sept. 5-6: Mega Elite Bowling Club, Canyon Lanes, Cabazon, 909/450-9415
Sat., Sept. 12: PBA Regional, Bowlero Mesa, Mesa, AZ, email@example.com, 360/600-1229
Sat. & Sun., Sept. 19-20: CBT Doubles & Singles, Sat. @ 10/12/2/4; Sun. @ 10/12/2, Sunset Station, Las Vegas, 661/418-8007, cbtbowling.com
Sat., Sept. 26: SLAC & OC USBC’s 4th SoCal Queens & Princess Tourn., 9am, Forest Lanes, Lake Forest, 323/252-7904, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sun., Sept. 27: SLAC & OC USBC’s SoCal Masters & Apprentices Tourn., 9am, Forest Lanes, Lake Forest, 323/252-7904, email@example.com